Thursday, July 16, 2015

So you have arrived at Leaning Palm Resort – Now What?!

This week I started work on resurrecting some long lost tours that used to be commonplace from the little village of Gales Point Manatee Belize.  This area used to be a more of a hot spot for eco-tourism and off-the-beaten path experiences.  Circumstances have removed Gales Point Manatee from the map preserving its pristine environments and now it is time to start showing it off again.  Here is a recap of my first day of Leaning Palm Resort tour development:
This is my tour guide for the day and actually I will work with Trenton quite a bit on developing tours.  He will be one of our regular tour guides and has a wealth of experience and a love for the area and its gifts.  He is also willing to put up with my demanding nature.  I asked him to show me the entire Southern Lagoon in one day - we are, after all, on a sophisticated and well-managed project schedule. 

We probably need to invest in a slightly larger kayak for Trenton.

I had been kayaking a bit on my own and was getting a pretty good handle on where things were.  So when Trenton told me there was a creek across the lagoon from the house we are renting I told him he must be joking.  Then he paddled right to it. 

We kayaked into Jenkins Creek and were able to see some amazing plant life, fish jumping, birds and I only got my paddle tangled up in the overgrowth a few times.

Me in Jenkins Creek.

Trenton in Jenkins Creek.

We do plan to clear this little creek out some more and create a super nice outing for our guests.  It is a gem!!


Next we kayaked to a trailhead – well a trailhead in the making for future kayak – hiking adventures.  This is where I learned that Belize has desert landscapes.  WOW!




Thankfully these landscapes are not too big and you are quickly in the shade of the jungle again.  In the jungle Trenton showed me Monkey Razors, Lipstick, Giant Palms and Little Foot Prints.
 

Next stop was Black Water Creek and Black Water Lagoon.  It actually starts off green and then turns black as you get closer to the lagoon.  It is a pretty cool place and I can’t wait to show Ken – Yes, the water is really black.  Really.




 We stopped on the way back home for another hike and I was thrilled to get out of the kayak – my bum and arms were aching and I was regretting my demands to see the whole lagoon in one day.  I whined a little and Trenton agreed that since it was getting close to super time we could turn back before seeing the whole lagoon.  I asked him how many days it would take to see the whole lagoon and he just laughed.  Then he showed me some fruit and flower trees. 




I will continue my quest to seek out awesome places to share with guests – I cannot even believe how much there is to see and do in the area!!  Next on the list is cooking and caving…Stay tuned!



4 comments:

  1. Fantastic! And you already have your Halloween theme: Creature from the Black Lagoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, that thought crossed my mind and I made a few jokes about the movie, but they were lost on Trenton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot wait to visit! What an amazingly rich and varied landscape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it is rich and varied! Yesterday we cleared the bamboo jams in Manatee River........what remains is a peaceful, relaxing drift through bamboo lined river banks and lush and diverse rain forest.......plus Howler Monkeys and too many different species of birds to list. Lunch on a lovely sandbar tops it off!!!!

      Delete